Sunday 11 February 2007

Fuel Injecting my Y10turbo

Ever since I first drove a Y10 turbo in 2002 I have always thought they suffered from under development. I know from experience that there is nothing that can keep up around town but the Y10 turbo does not give good fuel consumption around town, or around the country, or on motorways. To put it bluntly the Y10turbo is SHIT for fuel consumption. This is more to do with the crappy fuel system than the power it is producing. There is nothing wrong with weber carbs until you try and use them in a blow through turbo setup with a bar of boost, at least this is my experience. I have only ever driven one Y10 turbo which was running properly and that was a standard car. This is why I am fuel injecting my Y10 turbo. Something that has been done before but not with any success, especially on a road car. I am hoping to run 140 to 150 bhp on over boost with at least 120bhp constant.

I have never had my Y10 rolling road tuned but I used to run my car on big jets and over a bar of boost, this had made the car really quick! It pulled so well once on boost with the throttle open but when driving around using less than full throttle it would die, constant throttle adjustment was the only way to mantain any speed.

Now I have a hot cam and a full MPI manifold. I am hoping that this will make an otherwise forgotten and understated motor into what it should always have been. I have driven various Lancias and other cars over the years and I love Y10's more than anyother.

The main thing I love about these cars is the engine. At 1049cc it is small capacity but even as standard mine would pull to 8000rpm. This engine is so solid! The block is bomb proof with 5 main bearings and the head is a one piece 8 valve. The engine is well over square hence its rev ability. 85bhp as standard is not bad for a 1049cc but considring it is forced induction it just in not good enough. The cam is the main problem in my mind. The standard cam is restrictive. I am going to use a Y10 GTie camshaft. This has alot higher lift! Also the IHI turbos are reliable but not great for peak power. I will be using an IHI UNO turbo to start with but will move to something bigger once the project is sorted.


Here the head is un cleaned! I have removed all valves from the head and started to clean the inlet parts. I need some decent grinding tools for the inlet ports. I want to bring them out to match the GTie manifold. The exhaust ports will probably be opened out slightly too. This is less important for a power increase because the Y10 turbo head must suffer mainly from its inlet port design.


Here are some of the first
pictures of the inlet manifold, head and associated bits. You can see here the inlet ports(the 4 grouped in pairs highest up on the cylinder head)














A close up. You can see the full extent of how the inlet ports narrow down quickly on entrance and then they run straight and smooth to the valve. This is great for making the inlet charge air speed up on entry to the cylinder. I can only assume the reason for this design is to make the most of the low lift cam. Its almost like the top end power was restricted from the start. How can this design be good for maximum flow?







The GTie inlet manifold ports upside down. The difference in shape from the round turbo ports is significant! And the difference in shape equals a big difference in size. Bigger, smoother flowing ports is what we want! Pictures of the GTie head ports will be posted soon because copying GTie inlet port design is the next step.

Its nice even when things start to take shape. It has been a long time getting the bits to this project. Still a long way to go!


As I have said porting is coming next. After that plain sailing building the head up.

1 comment:

Louise said...

My my you have been a busy boy darlin! Next you can fix my dents! x